MAGENN AIR ROTOR SYSTEM (M.A.R.S.)
Magenn Power's MARS is a Wind Power Anywhere™ solution with distinct advantages over existing Conventional Wind Turbines and Diesel Generating Systems including: global deployment, lower costs, better operational performance, and greater environmental advantages.
MARS is a lighter-than-air tethered wind turbine that rotates about a horizontal axis in response to wind, generating electrical energy. This electrical energy is transferred down the 1000-foot tether for immediate use, or to a set of batteries for later use, or to the power grid. Helium sustains MARS and allows it to ascend to a higher altitude than traditional wind turbines. MARS captures the energy available in the 600 to 1000-foot low level and nocturnal jet streams that exist almost everywhere. MARS rotation also generates the "Magnus effect" which provides additional lift, keeps the MARS stabilized, and positions it within a very controlled and restricted location to adhere to FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) & Transport Canada guidelines.
The Advantages of MARS over Conventional Wind Turbines: Wind Power Anywhere™ removes all placement limitations. Coast-line or off-shore locations are not necessary to capture higher speed winds. Reaching winds at 1,000-feet above ground level allow MARS to be installed closer to the grid. MARS is mobile and can be rapidly deployed, deflated, and redeployed without the need for towers or heavy cranes. MARS is bird and bat friendly with lower noise emissions and is capable of operating in a wider range of wind speeds - from 4 mph to greater than 60 mph.
The Advantages of a MARS combined Wind and Diesel Solution over a Diesel Generator-only solution:MARS can complement a diesel generator by offering a combined diesel-wind power solution that delivers power below 20 cents per kWh. This compares to a wide range of 25 cents to 99 cents per kWh for diesel-alone, reflecting the high fuel and transportation costs in remote areas. The MARS combined solution allows lower pollution and green house gas emissions. It also results in lower handling, transporting, and storage costs.
MARS Target Markets: Developing nations where infrastructure is limited or non existent; off-grid combined wind and diesel solutions for island nations, farms, remote areas, cell towers, exploration equipment, backup power & water pumps for natural gas mines; rapid deployment diesel & wind solutions (to include airdrop) to disaster areas for power to emergency and medical equipment, water pumps; on-grid applications for farms, factories, remote communities; and wind farm deployments.
The Magenn Power Air Rotor System (MARS) is an innovative lighter-than-air tethered device that rotates about a horizontal axis in response to wind, efficiently generating clean renewable electrical energy at a lower cost than all competing systems. This electrical energy is transferred down the tether to a transformer at a ground station and then transferred to the electricity power grid. Helium (an inert non-reactive lighter than air gas) sustains the Air Rotor which ascends to an altitude for best winds and its rotation also causes the Magnus effect. This provides additional lift, keeps the device stabilized, keeps it positioned within a very controlled and restricted location, and causes it to pull up overhead rather than drift downwind on its tether.
All competing wind generators use bladed two-dimensional disk-like structures and rigid towers. The Magenn Power Air Rotor system is a closed three-dimensional structure (cylinder). It offers high torque, low starting speeds, and superior overall efficiency thanks to its ability to deploy higher. The closed structure allows Magenn Power to produce wind rotors from very small to very large sizes at a fraction of the cost of current wind generators.
The distinct advantages of the Magenn Air Rotor System design are as follows:
- Magenn Air Rotor System is less expensive per unit of actual electrical energy output than competing wind power systems.
- Magenn Power Air Rotor System will deliver time-averaged output much closer to its rated capacity than the capacity factor typical with conventional designs. Magenn efficiency will be 40 to 50 percent. This is hugely important, since doubling capacity factor cuts the cost of each delivered watt by half.
- Wind farms can be placed closer to demand centers, reducing transmission line costs and transmission line loses.
- Conventional wind generators are only operable in wind speeds between 3 meters/sec and 28 meters/sec. Magenn Air Rotors are operable between 1 meter/sec and in excess of 28 meters/sec.
- Magenn Air Rotors can be raised to higher altitudes, thus capitalizing on higher winds aloft. Altitudes from 400-ft to 1,000-ft above ground level are possible, without having to build an expensive tower, or use a crane to perform maintenance.
- Magenn Air Rotors are mobile and can be easily moved to different locations to correspond to changing wind patterns. Mobility is also useful in emergency deployment and disaster relief situations.
These points are mutually inclusive. The advantages above combine to make Magenn the most cost-effective wind electrical generation system.
Pictures below show older conceptual drawings of the Magenn Air Rotor System
Magenn Power Inc. plans to start manufacturing its Magenn Air Rotor System (MARS) in 2009/10 with a 10 kW to 25 kW MARS unit being the first one shipping. (No plans for a 4 kW MARS system at this time)
The reason for the delay is that it is took longer than anticipated raising the funds necessary to finish prototypes and get the product ready for market.
The price for the 10 - 25 kW MARS unit is yet to be determined but it is Magenn's design goal to deliver product at a cost between the $5 USD to $10 USD dollar per watt range.
Please email for more information; firstname.lastname@example.org or call at (613) 482-6558
Picture above shows the 10kW MARS alpha Prototype
Picture above shows the end plate with a 5 kW generator attached to one side.
Pictures above show 10kW alpha prototype MARS on a 350 foot tether.
The Magenn Air Rotor System (MARS) is a new generation of wind turbines with cost and performance advantages over existing systems.
MARS is a lighter-than-air tethered wind turbine that rotates about a horizontal axis in response to wind, generating electrical energy. This electrical energy is transferred down the tether for consumption, or to a set of batteries or the power grid. Helium sustains the Magenn Air Rotor System, which ascends to an altitude as selected by the operator for the best winds. Its rotation also generates the "Magnus" effect. This aerodynamic phenomenon provides additional lift, keeps the MARS device stabilized, positions MARS within a very controlled and restricted location, and finally, causes MARS to pull up overhead to maximize altitude rather than drift downwind on its tether.
The Advantages of MARS over Conventional Wind Turbines are:
1. low cost electricity - under 15 cents per kWh
2. bird and bat friendly
3. lower noise
4. wide range of wind speeds - 2 to more than 28 meters/second
5. higher altitudes - from 200 to 1,000 feet above ground level are possible without expensive towers or cranes
6. fewer limits on placement location - coast line placement is not necessary
7. ability to install closer to the power grid
9. ideal for off grid applications or where power is not reliable.
Initial MARS Target Markets include:
1. developing and island nations where infrastructure is limited or non existent
2. rapid deployment (to include airdrop) to disaster areas for power to emergency and medical equipment, water pumps, and relief efforts (ex. Katrina, Tsunami)
3.. off grid for cottages and remote uses such as cell towers and exploration equipment)
4. and military applications..
Magenn Power Product
Size (Diameter x Length)
30 feet by 60 feet
Under 3,000 lbs - depending on tether length
Volume of Helium
33,000 cubic feet (approx.)
400 ft standard - up to 1,000 ft optional tether length, in increments of 100 feet
Start-up Wind Speed
2.0 m/sec - 4.48 mph
Cut-in Wind Speed
3.0 m/sec - 6.7 mph
Rated Wind Speed
12.0 m/sec - 26.8 mph
Cut-out Wind Speed
25.0 m/sec - 53.7 mph
Maximum Wind Speed
28.0 m/sec - 62.6 mph
-40ºC /-40ºF to +45ºC/+113ºF
2 x 5 kW
Various Options Available: 120 VAC 60Hz - 240 VAC 50 Hz - Regulated DC 12-600V
Up to 5 Years
10 - 15 Years
Price (USD) (Estimated)
Availability, Pricing and Specifications are subject to change
MARS 10kW Performance
Estimated performance data is shown in the two graphs below. The Annual Energy Output range accounts for various non-standard wind distributions. MAGENN technology will be applied off-grid and combined with diesel power for developing nations, island nations, farms, remote areas, cell towers, exploration equipment, oil and gas wells, mining sites, offshore drilling stations, and backup power & water pumps. MAGENN rotors could also be used for on-grid applications for farms, factories, and remote communities.